Special days, special memories. We all wish to make our special days last forever. Is there any special way to do it?
People tend to celebrate occasions through parties, vacations and some through social work like donating blankets, clothes and blood. I have one of my close friends donating blankets and grocery items to streetside beggars and blind homes and even donating blood on their birthday every year. This is indeed a good practice to make each birthday more meaningful.
But, is there any more creative way that can benefit us as well as our upcoming generations? Is there any way of saying thanks to nature or showing gratitude for providing us with such incredible life resources? Is it possible to involve our surroundings in our celebrations?
So many questions but the answer lies with the colour green. Give it a thought, while we provide you with a new gifting idea.
Giving An Opportunity To Plants
From birthdays to anniversaries, we always fall short of gifting options. Indeed, we all have so much to choose from.
We bet you must not have ever thought of gifting plants to your loved ones on special occasions. You read that right, plants can be the best and memorable gifts to someone. It is surely an out of the box idea. The materialistic gifts start depreciating with time whereas plants become our companions and stay for a longer period if taken care of properly and sometimes these even become a legacy.
There are numerous and uncountable varieties of plants to choose from and so are their benefits. One plant can give birth to several plants. Let us help you scroll through the reasons for the same.
Gift A Plant
1. Pleasure & Prevention:
Gifting someone a living plant means you are handing them the responsibility of taking care and keeping it alive. The person receives immense pleasure when it grows out to be a healthy plant. Growing something enhances self-esteem and boosts confidence.
Also, living plants restrict the occurrence of Sick Building Syndrome (SBS), a very common issue nowadays. Its symptoms include anxiety, headache, dizziness, and lack of concentration. Place one on your child’s table.
2. Gift a plant For mental wellness:
In this time of stress and anxiety, people often don’t find emotional balance. We know there is no guidebook on how to manage stress and also be productive at the same time. Greenery is said to reduce stress and make one more productive. We can ensure that the person can function with a clear head by giving them plants that enhance the mood and lower down the stress level. The presence of a plant in the room or at the desk can help considerably in making the air fresher.
Caring for plants like watering them, fertilizing and watching them bloom is one of the great pleasures. It makes you feel alive and psychologically healthy. The satisfaction achieved from watching your plants grow ultimately leads to happiness and elation.
3. Feng Shui :
Every plant has its Feng Shui energy which invites positive vibes to the place. The colour green is said to be associated with healing. So, gifting plant heals your near and dear ones.
Golden Pothos (money plant)
4. Aesthetic Value:
While gifting a plant to your loved ones you will add a lot of aesthetics to their lives. Plants add a lot of vitality and brightness to the surroundings and lots of layers in the décor as well. They definitely add up to the aesthetic value of the place, be it the garden, indoors, balcony or office. Gift a plant to beautify someone’s place.
5. Value for Life:
Gifting a plant is very beneficial for human beings and could be a great nutriment to the other species. As we know many insects like bees, butterflies, and beetles etc survive on flowers and plants. So be a contributor for some little lives.
6. Air purifiers
The most important value of some plants is that they purify air. NASA recommended air purifier plants not only produce oxygen but also remove volatile pollutants like benzene, formaldehyde and xylene, thus reducing the carbon footprint of a place. Adding this small practice of gifting plants to others will be a great initiative to boost this chain of creating a purified and clean environment around us.
Sounds strange? But let me tell you in one sentence ‘The more we make the environment green, the purer air we will inhale, the more fresh air we get, the more we become healthy and so goes on with our country’s growth’. We need to be healthy for productivity and creativity and these factors are directly involved in improving the country’s economy.
Karamveer Singh from Longowal planted a sapling on his 23rd birthday
8. Gift a plant without any reason
Not only for gifting, saplings can be planted on a special occasion. Like planting a tree on your birthday, anniversary, on a success celebration etc.
Moreover, planting a tree gives shade and fruit at a later stage. Give a thought and list all that we borrow from our nature. So, “Gift A Plant, Gift A Life”.
9. Gift a plant to yourself on a occasion
Planting a “Triveni” is the best gift one can gift to themselves on a birthday or special occasions to make it more memorable. Plant atleast 1 tree in your lifetime to give back to mother nature.
Is it not our responsibility to maintain and spread the positive and clean the negative?Here, you need to ponder a lot.
The Bottom line: Gift a plant on every occasion.
We are definitely sure that now there exist enough reasons for gifting a plant. Go give it a try and share your experiences with us in the chat box and also if you have more reasons besides the ones mentioned above, do share those also.
Triveni-Wondering what the title means? Let’s discover.
“Triveni ” is when neem (Azadirachta indica), peepal (Ficus religiosa), and bohar (Ficus benghalensis) grow together in a pit. When they reach up to a height of 6-7 feet, they are made to meet together from their trunk.
DIRECTIONS: PEEPAL is planted in North, Neem in East and Bohar in South direction.
*Scroll down to fill the form.
It is said to be a folktale and is also of ecological importance. It is surely not an ordinary tree as it has a great spiritual significance. Planting Triveni is a virtuous and fortunate deed.
Why the need for Triveni?
• Ecological Importance
The trio produces a large amount of oxygen and purifies the environment efficiently. Triveni plantation means purification of the environment.
It prevents soil erosion, improves soil fertility and structure, helps in attracting rains, and has many medicinal values too.
It is said that Peepal and banyan trees release oxygen at night also. Amazing, right? This is due to a special photosynthesis process called Crassulacean Acid Metabolism (CAM).
• Spiritual Importance
It is said that bohar, neem and peepal are the humble abode of Lord Brahma (cosmic creator), Vishnu (preserver), and Mahesh (destroyer), respectively. The ancient worshiping practice of these trees has been mentioned in Mahabharta. By serving or planting it, all Gods are said to be worshipped. A sense of elation gushes out of the mother Earth after this fortunate practice is performed. It is surrounded by a highly positive aura.
It finds a mention in the holy scripture- Guru Granth Sahib which says ‘One tree, a hundred blessings’.
Why are we reaching out to you?
These Trees are huge so they require a lot of space which is the reason for their depleting number. These are planted in public places with huge space around and before the onset of the rainy season. We are now left with limited space due to increased urbanization.
Do we have an alternate solution for a limited space?
Each one of us has the potential to do it, especially our smart youth who has the outgrowing ability and power to change the future of our Earth and the human race and set us free from ailments. It’s our very duty to not let the planet die. Let’s not find resources on other planets instead let’s make it the beauty of all.
Survival without trees is unimaginable even in dreams. Since our childhood, we have demanded endlessly from our Mother nature who has nurtured us unconditionally like our mothers. So, she deserves the same love, care, and respect which is in the form of green activities like planting trees, minimizing waste, use of water and electricity, and managing pollution. In short, the more we do, the less it is. Saving nature will not cost us anything but will in turn spread happiness and revive the natural habitat of the wild.
If we all survive this pandemic, I hope we all will remember that when it happened, we didn’t fight for the land nor a luxurious life. When all of this has been concluded, we’ll remember that we fought for the means of our survival- Air
The fight today is for survival and greenery is the only saviour as it keeps both humans and earth healthy. This green mission needs your big support and a helping hand. We need to start now to wake up to a bright future. Join us towards this cause by filling up the below-given google form to tell us when and where you will plant Triveni.
Spider plant, also known by the names, spider ivy and ribbon plant, is an easy to grow houseplant.
Its long and narrow leaves can reach a length measuring upto 20-45 cm and approx. 6-25 millimeters.
These are perennial plants with indefinite life span, which also end up out living their owners, provided these are nurtured properly. Thanks to their longevity, they end up becoming the legacy.
Spider Plant Uses
The NASA Clean Air Study claimed that spider plant is an effective air purifier and helps eliminate air toxins like xylene (Sources- petroleum, coal tar, smoke) and formaldehyde (Sources- paints, coatings, glues, permanent press fabric, pesticides, fertilizers). Thus, reducing indoor pollution.
The plant finds its use in various traditional medicines. Its tubular roots are consumed to treat bronchitis, bone fractures and burns. Its leaves are consumed in kenya.
It can be used as an indoor plant not only because it purifies air but also it enhances the indoor beauty due to its decorative value.
Spider plants can also be planted in gardens as well as in hanging pots at a partially shady place. It spreads beautifully on the ground and works as a cover to prevent soil erosion .
Plants love well drained soil so does the spider plant. The fully grown plants can tolerate drought for a while as well but not for very long.
The most suitable temperature for its good development is 18-32 degree Celsius. It cannot withstand frost.
Plants prefer the soil to dry between waterings to avoid root rot, so does the spider plant. Excess watering can produce brown leaf tips, which can also be due to buildup of chemicals present in water. You may use filtered water in that case. Water stress can also arise due to insufficient watering.
Belonging to the tropical rainforest, spider plants prefer humidity which keeps brown tips at bay. So, you can also place it in a bright bathroom of yours.
These require partly shaded sites and if grown indoors they love highly bright spots. Forbid direct sunlight to prevent scorching of leaves and enhance the striping on the leaves.
The fertilizing task can be done in summer and spring twice a month. Plant growth is slow in winter and autumn so fertilizer doesn’t find the need. Over-fertilization should be avoided to prevent brown leaf tips.
This task requires the plantlets of the plant. These are the miniature replica of the spider plant. So, these are easy to propagate.
Though the spider plants do not require repotting often but the task should be done in spring which is considered as an ideal time. If the roots start peeping out of the soil, then it’s time for some action.
These plants are hardy when it comes to pest attack. But yes, they are susceptible to some infestations, like spider mites, aphids, mealy bugs and whitefield may damage the plant. The plant can be saved using an insecticide mixed with vinegar if it worsens, otherwise, misting it with water will do the job. Spraying neem water on any plant can help save plants from bugs.
So, what are you waiting for? Hurry up and clean your indoor air with this NASA approved air purifier and give a pure breathing experience to your family.
Opuntia microdasys , a lookalike of cactus is characterized by its green pads. The cactus is a flowering plant species in the cactus family Cactaceae. It forms a dense shrub of 40–60 cm tall but more composed of pad-like stems 6–15 cm long and 4–12 cm broad. In place of spines it has number of yellow or white glochids which are 2–3 mm long and dense clusters.
CAUTION: Glochids may cause considerable skin irritation if touched, so they must be handled with caution.
It is known by the names of angel’s-wings, bunny ear cactus, bunny cactus or polka-dot cactus. This cactus has no central stem or leaves. The oval shaped pads are the main constituent and attracting point of bunny ear cactus.
Why bunny ear?
Because these pad like segments always grow in pairs which result in an appearance similar to rabbit’s ears. These so called new segments appear as red and grow to dark green colour when mature.
The mature pads are highly covered with glochids which are short whitish brown prickles. These come off easily and can be blown away by wind.
Flowering: The terminal ends of segment pads are meant for the flowers to sprout. Budding starts in late spring and ends in early summer with 2 inch wide blossoms. These are creamy yellow in colour. This succulent comes with low maintenance and tolerance of harsh environment but it is more of an outdoor plant.
Click on the text below to know about the edible parts of Opuntia microdasys:
1. Soil A cactus mix will work very well for bunny ear. Avoid excess organic contents in the soil.
2. Light 4-6 hours of indirect sunlight per day is sufficient. Avoid placing it in a dark room.
3. Water Watering should be done when the top one inch of the soil gets dried. Any excess water should be drained out from the saucer. Watering in winters should be reduced to once in every 3-4 weeks. Water only the soil and not the pads.
4. Fertilizer Although, its not needed much but it can be applied in summers. A peat-based compost should not be used. Remember, fertilize it in the evening only.
5. Repotting It should be performed every 1-2 years. Wait for week after repotting and then water the bunny ears cactus.
6. Pest control Combat the scale insects and mealy bugs with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol.
7. Propagation Here is a step guide for performing a perfect propagation of bunny ears cactus:
• Pick out a mature pad and separate from the mother plant. It is best to group the cuttings by threes or more for better survival chances. • Make use of a tweezer to break the pads off or very thick gloves to handle this part. • Let the pads to callus for a few days before planting.
Optional: Dip the pads in rooting hormone which helps speed up the rooting and propagation process.
• Prepare a potting mix. A cactus mix is the perfect choice for potted a bunny ear. • Use an unglazed clay pot slightly larger than the pads that are to be repotted. The clay pot lowers the chance of root rot. • As soon as the cuttings have callused, plant it one inch deep into the soil and place the pot in a good sunlit area. • Leave it undisturbed for a few days and let the roots develop. • Ultimately, water it regularly for the first year. This will help the roots develop properly.
So, have you made up your mind to make this lovely bunny ear cactus your’s?
Subscribe our newsletter to get a grip on our upcoming blogs.
Epipremnum aureum is known by many common names; golden pothos, Ceylon creeper, hunter’s robe, ivy arum, house plant, money plant, silver vine, Solomon Islands ivy, marble queen, and taro vine. It stays green even when kept in the dark, so it is also called devil’s vine or devil’s ivy. Money plant is an evergreen vine which grows up to a length of 20 m tall and climbs with the help of aerial roots. Leaves are heart-shaped and arranged alternately.
Benefits of Money Plant
1. NASA recommended air purifier It helps eliminate benzene, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and xylene.
2. Acts as an Anti-radiator Yes, it can absorb most of the harmful radiations emitted by the gadgets and helps lower employee sickness rate by creating a productive environment at workplace and also creates a healthy environment at home.
3. Reduces stress and anxiety Keeping it at home energizes & reduces stress in human beings. It helps avoid arguments, reduces anxiety & sleeping disorders. Green space means a stress free space. Plants are proven to lower the stress levels to a considerable amount.
4. Brings in good luck and prosperity As the name suggests; money plant is known to bring abundance and wealth to the house and removes bad luck. Money Plant has always been considered the symbol of good luck. It is believed that keeping money plants at home can help people attain great heights in both personal and professional domains of life. North-East direction is not considered a good place to keep your money plant, so be careful. This plant is known to bring good fortune and wealth.
5. Creates a positive aura This plant spreads positive vibes and energy around the space. Positive environment leads to a positive attitude which is the reason behind success and calm mind.
6. Keeps marital problems at bay According to Vastu & Feng Shui, these plants should be kept indoors in the south-east direction. It maintains a healthy environment at home and keeps marital problems away. It is believed to bring long-lasting relation, due to its heart-shaped leaves. It keeps you free from marriage tensions and binds the family together.
How to care for Money Plant?
1. Soil Well drained soil is the demand of every plant. Sand and potting soil makes a perfect combo as sand allows good drainage and aeration to the plants.
2. Water It can be watered once in 7-10 days in summers and once in 2-3 weeks in winter. Misting once a week in winters is enough. Let the soil dry up a little between successive watering sessions . But the gap between the sessions should not extend so long that the soil starts to crack up.
3. Light This plant requires indirect medium to bright sunlight as scorching rays can burn the leaves. Money plant can grow well indoors and can also survive under artificial lights.
4. Fertilizer Feeding the money plant with fertilizer once a month is sufficient. Make sure that only the prescribed amount is added.
5. Growing money plant in water • Water should be changed every week. • One node should be below the water level. • No need to fertilize when growing in water. • Keep the plant container near sunlight.
So, what are you waiting for? Buy one for yourselves now.
Aloe barbadensis miller commonly called Aloe Vera is a multi-speciality stem less or short- stemmed xerophytic succulent which belongs to family Liliaceae. The leaves are green, fleshy and thick. It is cultivated for agricultural and medicinal uses. It is used in various cosmetics, ointments, beverages, etc.
Benefits and uses
1. Clears acne
The most common problem among teenagers is acne due to hormonal change. Applying fresh aloe gel on the face can surely reduce inflammation and acne. Acne creams with a combination of aloe vera are more effective than the acne medication alone.
2. Lightens blemishes on face
This succulent helps has vitamin C and E and helps in skin rejuvenation and skin cell reproduction, ultimately leading to clear and smooth skin with no acne marks.
3. Helps in hair growth
Aloe Vera gel activates new hair growth by increasing blood circulation to the scalp preventing hair fall. The proteolytic enzymes repair dead skin cells. Also, it acts as a conditioner.
4. Improves digestive health
Aloe Vera is said to cure stomach ailments and prevent ulcers by suppressing the growth of H. pylori bacteria in the digestive tract.
5. Heals burns
This succulent has cooling, soothing and moisturizing properties and can be used to treat burns. Aloe Vera also works wonders on reducing sun burns.
Yes, it can absorb harmful radiations from gadgets and give you more healthy air.
7. Improves oral health
Aloe Vera mouthwash or toothpastes can keep plaque at bay and improve overall mouth health to a great extent.
8. Aloe Vera juice:
High on nutrients
It contains trace amounts of manganese, zinc, copper, calcium, potassium and sodium. It is an excellent source of vitamin B-12, C and E.
Gives you a clear skin
This hydrating drink keeps acne at bay. The more you infuse liquid in your diet, the more you flush out toxins and the effect is seen in the face. It repairs your skin from daily damage and makes it tolerant to unfavourable conditions, keeping the aging effect miles away.
Aloe Vera reduces the amount of acid produced by the stomach, thus leading to less risks of heartburn and gastric ulcers.
Keeps you hydrated
The juice flushes out impurities and toxins, thus keeping you healthy. Liver and kidneys are responsible for detoxifying blood and producing urine, hence aloe juice improves organ output.
Keeps liver healthy
Aloe Vera is enriched with phytonutrients, hence making it ideal for the liver. Liver functions best when it is hydrated and nourished.
Now you know that the juice keeps you hydrated, so it means that it increases the water content in the body including intestine which produces a stimulation for peristalsis ,i.e., bowel movement aiding in passing stool normally.
Lowers blood sugar levels
A study claimed that consuming aloe vera gel or juice can aid people control fasting blood sugar levels and lose weight also. It stimulates insulin secretion in the body helping you keep diabetes at bay.
9. NASA recommended air purifier
Yes, you heard it right. You might already have this amazing succulent at your home, if not you must get it right now. Aloe vera has been stated as the air purifier by NASA as it helps clear formaldehyde and benzene which can be a byproduct of paints.